Puzzle #19

edited August 2020 in Puzzle Hints

Hint:

Work out the 4 digit code - there is only one solution that follows the rules (no digits repeated, every segment must be used once and only once).

Comments

• What do you by a segment?

• Each of the elongated shapes that you can shade in. '8' takes up seven segments, '1' takes up only two, for example..

• Does this mean that every single segment in the diagram must be shaded (“used”) by the numbers?

• Correct. Every single segment is used, and only used once (no overlapping).

• Thx. Got it now!

• @TachyonBook said:
    Hint:

Work out the 4 digit code - there is only one solution that follows the rules (no digits repeated, every segment must be used once and only once).

I am so stuck i can't get my head around this at all
    No matter what I pick I can't get out of only using 8 or 3 haha

• Are all four numbers in the normal orientation?

• Yes, normal orientation, digital numbers.

• I am stuck, can i get the first digit?

• Try working backwards instead:

The last digit must be one that fills all of the right-most segments. So it can only be 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 0.
    You can eliminate 1, 4, 7 and 0, as they would leave gaps that can't be filled. So you know the last digit must be a 3, 8, or 9. Try from there...

• I don't see how certain numbers can be used following the rules - a 4 would always leave an unused segment at the top, wouldn't it? I must admit that I'm stumped too.

• Correct. 4 cannot be one of the numbers.

• Does "no digits repeated" mean they can't be right next to each other, but they can be used twice?

• No. The answer is four unique digits.

• edited June 2022

Thanks!

• I'm stuck on this one what segment do I start from

• edited July 2023

Could I possibly have the first digit please I have 3 numbers just having trouble on last digit