Hint 2:
Keypad texting?

Hint 3:
Convert the new number back to text?

Comments

• edited November 2020

Finally got this one took me ages

• S is 7777, from telephone

• So stuck on this. Have converted the codes and added together but can't make a word from final result. Any hints on the adding up?

• You should be adding just two large numbers together.

• I don’t understand this one I know the letters can be converted into numbers on a telephone pad which I did then add up the two numbers but it wasn’t right in your hint you said that S was 7777 I don’t understand at all sorry

• edited December 2020

@suebdoo said:
    I don’t understand this one I know the letters can be converted into numbers on a telephone pad which I did then add up the two numbers but it wasn’t right in your hint you said that S was 7777 I don’t understand at all sorry

Text

• edited June 2021

You're on the right track so far.
    The S of the first code is 7777. The next letter is T so that's 8. Get it? Do that for all the letters of both code words, and you'll end up with two big numbers. Add them together and you should be able to convert that back into a new word.

• Thanks will do it

• I wonder if this puzzle could’ve used one more nudge in the flavor text to indicate an inevitable way to get to the answer...

“ ‘...meet me at this location?’ Am I looking for a number... or a word?”).
    Bad example... but the question mimics the process(es) of conversion needed to solve.
    Or maybe even some visual way to convey repeated ‘Tap, tap, tapping’
    Another bad example.

I know our loyal narrator isn't supposed to be omniscient, and is theoretically figuring it out as we are. But as it stands, there are so many potential interpretations for how to solve certain puzzles (including this one), it’s like we’re guessing what number is in the designer’s head (or trial and error, plugging in guesses) as opposed to using logic to figure out an inevitable solution.

That said, its hard to find the right balance in puzzle design; and ultimately, I’m enjoying your book.
    So keep up the good work! 😉👍

• edited June 2021

@TachyonBook said:

You're on the right track so far.
    The S of the first code is 7777. The next letter is T so that's 8. Get it? Do that for all the letters of both code words, and you'll end up with two big numbers. Add them together and you should be able to convert that back into a new word.

Why is the next letter T? I have the codes for 18 & 22 but they don't give me a word starting with ST?? Please help.

• Convert SURE and MAN to numbers, using the old style of text messages, eg A=2, B=22, C=222, D=3 etc. You'll end up with two numbers.

Add those together and write down on the page. Then reverse the process to find the word.

• I have done everything I can to try to get the answer and nothing works.

I get a four digit number and a two digit number. I can’t get anything 5 digits. I can’t reverse engineer the numbers to make a word. I get TRILSH.

• Hi. Me again. I solved it, but not by going forwards, I absolutely couldn’t understand how that was supposed to work. Here’s what I eventually had to do.

I backed into the correct word using the dashes at the bottom. First letter had 4 dashes … obvious. Second had two, third had one, etc. Looking at all the possibilities one 5 letter combination made sense for where to meet.

• edited July 2021

I’m trying to hide this with a spoiler tag but I’m having problems so if it doesn’t work and you don’t want a spoiler don’t read on.

Hi, I can’t work out how to get 5 letters. >! I’ve converted “sure” to 7777 + 88 + 777 + 33 =8675 and “man” to 6+2+66=74 but when I add those together I get 8749 which only gets me four digits, not five.>!

• You're very close.

Try treating each word as a long number, e.g. 77778877733 + 6266

• edited November 2021

Still struggling with No. 26.

Added sure and man together and got 7777-888-3-999 and converted it back to
    7777 - S
    888- V
    3- D
    999- Y

Cannot make any sense of the result???
    Help

• You're almost there.

The 8s are split into two letters (use the dividing lines at the bottom as a guide.

You'll get a five letter word that will make sense.

• Why is the letter S converted to four 7s? It seems like it would be 7873 for the first word. What am I missing?

• edited March 2022

Originally, the way for texting was different. It used a multi-tap system. Have a look at how it worked:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-tap

• Add 2 big numbers…my two numbers are 8675 and 74… not TWO big numbers

• edited June 2022

The second number should be 'MAN' in old text language, so 6266. Figure out the first number as well, then add these together and decode the word.

• @cajntx said:
    Why is the letter S converted to four 7s? It seems like it would be 7873 for the first word. What am I missing?

this was the old style of texting. before predictive text came to play. In order to say the word "play", you had to press 7, 555, 2,999. there are letters associated with the numbers. It took a while, and then predictive text came out and made it much quicker and easier to send a message.